While we limit the information we collect, we do collect Personal Information when you:
- Place an order from our catalogs or on our Web site
- Create an account on our Web site
- Make a purchase at one of our retail stores
- Return an item, make an exchange or submit a rebate
- Inquire about our products or services or contact customer service
- Request a catalog
- Receive a gift package
- Sign up for BFS email updates or other promotional materials
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes
- Are referred to us through a marketing promotion
- Participate in a marketing survey, promotion or event
In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect Personal Information including:
- Telephone number
- Fax number
- Email address
- Transaction information
- Credit card, debit card or checking account information
- Driver’s license number and expiration date (in conjunction with merchandise returns and credit checks)
- Age/date of birth (in conjunction with promotions, for credit card applications and credit checks)
- Social Security number / EIN (in conjunction with credit applications only)
- Employment history (in conjunction with credit applications only)
- In order to provide you with a better shopping experience and to improve the quality of our services, we may combine the information you submit under your account with other information that we may receive from you, or from third parties, or with other public demographic information. We maintain this information, along with a record of your purchases, in a restricted database.
There are some services provided by BFS that require us to become temporary custodians of your business assets that may contain your Personal Information. These services typically involve a personal computer. BFS does not retain information from these devices once the requested services are complete.
Also, our Web site is not directed at collecting Personal Information from children.
How We Use the Information We Collect
At BFS, we always want to provide you with the easiest and best possible shopping experience from the time you begin looking for products and services through the delivery of your requested items. The information that we collect lets us meet this goal by allowing us to:
- Customize your shopping experience
- Confirm, process and track your orders
- Provide the products and services you request
- Contact you with questions or status updates regarding an order
- Deliver merchandise and services that you purchase online
- Fulfill gift card orders
- Respond to your customer service inquiries or requests
- Identify your product and service preferences
- Communicate great values and featured items to you
- Send you catalogs or promotional offers we believe will be of interest to you
- Send you BFS email updates
- Improve our merchandise selection, Web site, retail experience and customer service
- Provide information concerning product recalls or products you have purchased
- Prevent or mitigate fraud and credit risk
- Administer billing and payment for your purchases
- Administer promotions, contests, sweepstakes and rewards programs
- Administer branded credit cards
- Comply with applicable law, legal procedures, requirements, regulations and statutes
Choices for Personal Information
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You may decide to reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do decide to refuse all cookies, please be aware that some Web site features and BFS services may be unavailable or may not function properly. Browser settings, including do not track signals and other mechanisms, will not affect data collection and not constitute an opt-out of advertising-related cookies, personalized third-party advertising, or promotional messages from BFS; you must use the opt-out choices described herein in order to opt-out from such promotional messages.
In the normal course of business, BFS shares Personal Information with third parties. We do this in the following limited circumstances:
- We may disclose Personal Information as reasonably necessary to: (a) satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of BFS, its customers or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may disclose a customer’s name, phone number, postal address and/or ordering information to carefully selected third parties for marketing purposes so that they may notify individuals of offers or services that may be of interest. We do not provide credit card or other financial information for marketing purposes.
- We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-Personal Information, such as how many customers viewed a particular product or Web page. Such information would not identify you individually.
- We may disclose and/or transfer Personal Information to a third party in connection with a merger, acquisition or sale (including any transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving BFS or its affiliated companies or as part of a corporate reorganization, stock or asset sale, or other change in corporate control.
BFS maintains reasonable and appropriate standards to safeguard your Personal Information.
When you enter Personal Information that contains a Social Security number, driver’s license number, or credit or debit card number in the designated and secured sections of our Web site, the information will be encrypted or encoded before it is sent over the Internet. Personal Information that we collect and maintain is subject to physical, administrative and technical controls that are consistent with recognized industry standards.
BFS takes reasonable steps to verify that the Personal Information we store and process is accurate, complete and current. We also depend on our customers to update or correct their online profiles and to contact us with changes in Personal Information whenever necessary by one of the following means:
Unless otherwise required by law or for legitimate business purposes, we will make good-faith efforts to correct or delete such data at your request when you notify us of an error or change in your Personal Information. To prevent unauthorized changes to someone’s Personal Information, we ask individual customers to positively identify themselves before processing such requests.
We reserve the right to charge a small fee to process any request to update, correct or delete Personal Information. We also may decline to process requests that require a disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes).
If we receive a written complaint, it is BFS’ policy to contact the customer regarding his or her concerns. We will investigate complaints promptly and diligently to address your concerns and resolve any dispute quickly.
What to Do if You Believe Someone Has Improperly Used Your Personal Data
If you believe that someone has improperly accessed or used your personally identifiable information supplied to BFS or has made purchases at BFS that you did not authorize, please contact us immediately.